Monday, November 18, 2013

My Daily Design Musings – Pulling Threads Together

Last week, I had planned a complete organization of my sewing room. Instead, I was caring for my husband who came down with what we thought was measles. Luckily, when he finally went to the doctor, it was nothing quite so serious. Still, banging around my embroidery supplies and quilting tools was not conducive to the sleep he needed. I just finally got started on it all yesterday.

First, I created a new, big ironing board top. I used to use a pine board that measured 18” x 60”, which was great for some pressing needs, but inadequate for others. Since my old pine board needed to be replaced, I chose a new one that measures 24” x 48” and is ¾” thick. It’s heavy, but will last for about a decade. After drilling many holes in the center to let steam escape, I covered it with two layers of cotton batting and a fresh piece of cotton upholstery fabric. To hold it all in place, my handy staple-gun was utilized. The old board will be cut up to use as firewood in our outdoor pit. Don’t you just love double duty items?


With the new board complete and place on top of my regular ironing board, I don’t want to do more cleaning! I want to press some of my pretty hand-dyed fabric and stitch out some of my prettiest machine embroidery designs! I don’t have a project in mind for this; I just want to stitch! Of course, I could organize while the embroidery machine does the work, but watching the stitches form is always a great diversion. And, pulling out threads to use will not help in getting them sorted.

I do feel very lucky to have a room to devote to my fiber arts, so I guess I should show the required gratitude by keeping it neat. Having a full-time ironing surface is in my top three list of must have items. First, of course, are my sewing and embroidery machines. Second, is my cutting table that sits at an ergonomically correct height. Third, and tied with second, is my large ironing surface. These form my trifecta of stitching perfection, and I spent a lot of time designing this room to hold all of them, as well as sewing tables, computer desk and storage. Now, I just need to get it all organized!

My threads for machine embroidery are kept in tambour carts that roll under the sewing tables, while my stabilizers are kept in a drawer in my filing cabinet. Bobbins, needles and other supplies are kept in small parts bins on the wall. The biggest concern is keeping clutter off the work surfaces so I always have space to work on one of my quilt or embroidery patterns. One of these days, I’ll run out of space on the walls and under the tables, and then I don’t know what I’ll do; maybe racks that lower from the ceiling would be an option.

For now, I think I’ll press one piece of fabric and choose one embroidery design to stitch. After that, I’ll get down to work. At least I’ll have that large ironing surface available to help me sort it all. Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment