Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Stunning Embroidery Designs for Pop Art

I know I’ve written before that I don’t do production work. I love machine embroidery and will occasionally do projects for those who ask me. For a business, though, digitizing and all the related activities keep me quite busy and my machines humming.

But, how can one say no to their younger brother who is so excited about his new venture? It started as a philosophy on life and has morphed into a line of clothing and outerwear. At least on paper. When he realized, though, that I am well placed to make his dream a reality, he is ready to go now!!! I love this enthusiasm from my normally placid brother but, dude, it’s Christmas time. My schedule is booked solid until mid-January at least. Not to mention that all my machines and embroiderysupplies are in shipment from Greece to California.

 

While I don’t share his full philosophy, I see the huge potential his venture has. He will start with basic tees, hoodies and hats with simple embroidery designs created from his pop art and possibly some simple appliqué. I look forward to designing that. From there, though, he will need photo-stitch, which I don’t do, and screen printing (silkscreen) that is more my husband’s forte than mine. He’s even busier than I am. So, not only will I be helping in the design process, but I’ll also be instrumental in bringing in more people to make his design visions possible. It is probably a good thing I spent 20 years in the “corporate” world!

It’s funny. He’s always been the artistic one in the family, while I was the boring office manager. My creativity was through my quilting and embroidery hobbies, while his was shown in everything that he does. It is actually a huge compliment that he sees what I do as art. He is more modern while I am more traditional, but I look forward to seeing what we can come up with together.

We will be getting together later today to go over his needs. I plan on taking him to my favorite online embroidery design gallery to show him what types of things have been created with machine embroidery designs. This way, he will have a clearer understanding of what can and can’t be done without having to be the bad guy saying “no” over and over. I plan on having lots of drawing supplies on hand, which will prove to be awkward. I say that I have no drawing skills at all, but my sketches have helped on more than one occasion. My brother, as I’ve said, is an artist. Talk about facing one’s insecurities!

As busy as I am, I truly am looking forward to working with my brother. He’s a very kind man without an ounce of negativity in him. Very soothing. Plus, it will be nice to introduce traditional embroidery and other fiber arts into his very modern vision. And, if we can figure out how to do it ecologically sound and under budget, we may just have a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment