Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Innovation in Embroidery

I love learning new techniques for quilting and fashion sewing. It’s wonderful when I figure out that I can use a technique meant for making quilts to also create interesting effects on clothing.

I am currently taking an online class for creating embellished vests. There is so much information and so many ideas that I am spurred to try many new things. I want to add machine embroidery and worried about the construction of the vest making it difficult. Then, I realized that I could use a quilting technique, called Foundation Piecing, to put the outer layer of my vest together.

Once my main fabric is attached to interfacing in the foundation piecing technique, I can add embroidery designs to my heart’s content. Then, I can stitch the vest and lining together which will sandwich the backside of my embroidery between two layers of fabric.

This is wonderful for two reasons. First, my embroidery will be protected inside the lining. Second, the vest will remain reversible with the back side of the embroidery hidden. If I am truly inspired, I could even add embroidery to the lining fabric before stitching the vest together, making it an embroidered reversible vest. Beautiful.

Whether I am making quilts, machine embroidering a project or creating fashion, I find that it is very important to think about what I want from the finished item. What do I want? How will it be used? How will it be cared for?

Based on questions like this, I plan the construction of the project from beginning to end. Because I like my home furnishings to be easily machine washed and dried, I begin with cotton fabric. If I want to be able to wash a rayon skirt, I wash the rayon for maximum shrinkage before I sew the skirt. For anything that may need to be bleached, I choose polyester thread since it can be bleached without ruining the colors. I make many decisions like this before I ever begin a project.

In the case of my vest, I will create a sloper (sample garment) by stitching a vest from interfacing. Using the sloper, I can make adjustments in the fit before cutting out my fabric. When I cut my pieces, though, I will also cut it from interfacing. Then, I will draw lines on this to show me where I want to stitch my fabric pieces together using the foundation piecing technique. I can use the sloper to try out different ideas before drawing these placement lines.

While all this may seem fussy, it is something we all do when planning our quilts or embroidery design projects. It’s the same as figuring out if we will utilize embroidery quilting and where we will place it, what type of design we want for a pretty blouse, and where it should be stitched. Whether we make a huge production of making these decisions or just do it on instinct, we all make these types of decisions with every project.

Because of the decision and planning I have made, my pieced seams will be very secure because of a quilting technique. This same technique will have stabilizer (interfacing) already attached to my fabric, making the hooping for my machine embroidery a snap!

What could be easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment