Wednesday, September 7, 2011

When Time Flies With Embroidery


Since my son graduated from school a few years ago, it would seem normal to be more relaxed in the latter days of August. No longer do I need to rush about buying clothes and supplies, alter band uniforms, or scurry to get the household organized so that the home and my career run smoothly once school starts. I really don’t miss those crazy days, but not much has really changed!

Now, with the school supply specials, I look for deals to stock up my office and sometimes even find great deals on craft supplies. Quilting supplies like rotary cutters and mats can often be found at the local office supply store! Then, I take stock of my every day supplies for batting, interfacing, stabilizer, thread and more. Since the fabric stores are competing for business with school shoppers, deals are especially good at this time.

Instead of rushing to organize house, school and career, I spend the time organizing my sewing studio since fiber arts is my career! This year, as well as setting up a new studio, I am also creating a lot of soft items like chair covers, cork board covers, a new padded cover for my large, homemade ironing board and new fabric leaders for the rollers on my machine quilting frame. And, for the first time, I’m actually color-coordinating everything! Woo hoo!

I’ve been running my embroidery machine almost non-stop and this morning had a good laugh when I realized that it was a good excuse to stay in or near my studio. I could spend the time organizing the space. Of course, I find myself cleaning the rooms and areas on that floor, too! While I enjoy the feel of creating new embroidery designs, right now I am more interested in organizing. Strange!

Since the second floor is as clean as it’s going to get, I’m thinking about moving my embroidery machine down to the dining room. Then, I can embroider for hours while cleaning that level of the house. Of course, moving my needed embroidery supplies downstairs, and keeping the cats out of them, might be too much for me to want to deal with!

This is actually a great way to get motivated to organize my life. I can work on my little netbook to do my administrative work, stitch designs, clean, and altogether immerse myself in my work! I have very few complaints about my day.

If moving my embroidery designs to the first floor works, I may even move it down to the basement for that phase of cleaning and organizing. Of course, my family may not see me for months! The basement is a dangerous space for a dedicated fiber artist to have. Lots of space for storage that never needs to be cleaned because no one sees it! Still, I open up the basement to the area’s population of stray cats and dogs, so I would much prefer that it start out clean this winter.

Tomorrow, I’ll be taking a break from the studio. My son arrived here in Crete a few days ago, so we will be getting his Alien ID renewed, his other paperwork taken care of, and adding him to the auto insurance. Then, we will finish up his enrollment for his college courses here and online, order his books, and shop for supplies. Since he’s been gone for a while, I also plan on buying him some much-needed clothing.

Like I said, not much has changed at all!



No comments:

Post a Comment